I was having one of those "I need chocolate cake" days when I came across this Chocolate Pudding Cake recipe. As I had the ingredients for the cake, I set about making it immediately.
The cake is easy to put together - the only slightly more challenging part is to whish the egg whites till stiff and fold it into the chocolate mixture gently.
The result was a melt-in-the-mouth chocolate pudding that shooed away the afternoon blues!
Chocolate Pudding Cake (Serves 8)
Recipe by Martha Stewart
- Butter, room temperature, for baking dish
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus more for baking dish
- 6 large eggs, room temperature, separated
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 degrees C), and set a kettle of water to boil. Butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish; coat with granulated sugar, tapping out excess. (I baked mine in ramekins)
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks with granulated sugar until lightened in color. Whisk in melted chocolate; set aside.
- In a large, clean bowl, using an electric mixer on high, beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form. Whisk 1/3 of whites into chocolate mixture. Add remaining whites, and gently fold with a rubber spatula just until combined (do not overmix).
- Transfer batter to prepared baking dish. Set dish in a roasting pan, and pour enough boiling water into pan to come about 1 inch up side of dish. Bake until puffed and just set (center of cake should barely move when jiggled), 25 to 35 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes; dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving.